The secret to its speedy success is a base made from cake mix! – by Sarah Murphy
Prep: 15 Minutes – Cook: 25 Minutes – Makes 16
You can’t go wrong with a crowd-pleasing slice. Have this one with your cuppa, pop it into lunchboxes or serve as dessert. It’s tangy and sweet and the secret to its speedy success is a base made from cake mix.
340g packet vanilla cake mix
1 cup desiccated coconut, plus extra 2 Tbsp
125g unsalted butter, melted, cooled
3 lemons, 1 finely zested and 2 juiced (you’ll need 2/3 cup)
395g can sweetened condensed milk
- Grease an 18 x 28cm rectangular slice pan. Line base and sides with baking paper, extending paper 5cm above pan edges. Preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced (180°C conventional).
- Put cake mix in a large bowl. Add coconut, butter and zest. Stir until well combined. Press evenly over base of prepared pan. Bake for 10 minutes, or until light golden. Remove. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir juice into condensed milk in a bowl. Spread over base. Sprinkle with extra coconut.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until filling is set and lightly browned on edges. Cool, then refrigerate for about 3 hours, or until cold.
- Using baking paper, lift slice from pan. Cut into rectangles. Serve.
You might also like:
Disclaimer: The opinions posted within this blog are those of the writer and do not necessarily reflect the views of Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate, others employed by Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate or the organisations with which the network is affiliated. The author takes full responsibility for his opinions and does not hold Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate or any third party responsible for anything in the posted content. The author freely admits that his views may not be the same as those of his colleagues, or third parties associated with the Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate network.